Sunday, March 18, 2012

TURKEY MEATLOAF


I think the last time I ever made a meatloaf was when I was 14 years old.  That "classic" recipe follows this one.  And, I love my "typos" on the recipe cards from back then.  More recently, I made a Turkey Meatloaf....only because I purchased some ground turkey for another dish that I wanted to attempt, but never made it down that road.   As a result, we have my Turkey Meatloaf from 2012 and my Jelly-Roll Meatloaf from circa early 1970's here.  By the way, the circa recipe was typed on an index card on a  powder blue manual Royal typewriter almost 40 years ago.

TURKEY MEATLOAF

1 1/2 cups red onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup minced garlic
1 teaspoon olive oil
3/4 pound  portabella mushrooms, finely chopped

salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup red tomato sauce, preferably homemade, plus more to coat loaf
1 cup panko (or plain bread crumbs)
1/3 cup of low fat milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/4 pound ground turkey (preferably lean, low-fat)

Preheat oven to 400°F.


Cook onion and garlic in oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is softened, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, dash of salt and touch of pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated and they are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, parsley, and 1/4 cup of tomato sauce, then transfer vegetables to a large bowl and cool.
Stir together panko and milk in a small bowl and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in egg, then add to vegetables. Add turkey and salt and pepper to vegetable mixture and mix.

Form into a 9- by 5-inch oval loaf in a lightly oiled metal baking pan.  Brush meatloaf evenly with remaining tomato sauce. Bake in middle of oven until thermometer inserted into meatloaf registers 170°F, 50 to 55 minutes.
Let meatloaf stand 5 minutes before serving.

My Circa 1973 recipe for meatloaf (with beef):




No comments: