Saturday, June 2, 2012

CURED WATERMELON CRUDO WITH THYME


We attended Angelo Sosa's book signing party at Korin http://korin.com/site/home.html two weeks ago.  I did not take any photos.  Shame on me.  I wasn't in the mood to click, and besides my photos aren't the quality of National Geographic, although many others aren't either.

Angelo is another one of those nice chefs on this planet, and I enjoyed the party immensely.  There was food for all types:  beef, pork, tuna tartare, and tofu burgers from Angelo's Restaurant Social Eatz http://www.socialeatz.com/
The tuna tartare and tofu burgers were my favorites. I don't eat beef or pork, but I heard that they also were very good. I didn't say yummy.  Never will.  Actually, Never EVER will say that term.  Also, champagne and beer was served to those over 21, of course.   In retrospect, I'm sorry that I didn't take any photos.  Oh, Well.  

Angelo's cookbook, Flavor Exposed, is, by far, another gem to add to my collection.  http://www.amazon.com/Flavor-Exposed-Global-Recipes-Earthy/dp/1906868662/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338636948&sr=1-1

So True, "The Passion of Cooking Begins in the Heart."
His combination of flavors, ranging from sweet and salty and earthy and spicy, definitely brings out the umami in every dish.  The first one I made was the Cured Watermelon Crudo with Thyme.  Who would think that watermelon could be combined with Kosher salt, pepper, thyme and olive oil?  It certainly did work and offered an explosion of flavors on the pallet.  Did I just write that?  Oh no.  Am I becoming a fru fru writer?  Hope not.  Anyway, here is the recipe right out of the book.  No adaptations, no amendments, no...whatever.  This is it.  Yummy.  And, as a side note, this is the dish Angelo made on yesterday's  NYCLIVETV.COM.

Angelo says this is one of his favorite ways to start or finish a summer meal. I agree.   A perfect finish.

2 cups seeded cubed watermelon, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Put watermelon on a sheet pan and sprinkle with salt.  Place in the fridge to chill.
Remove watermelon from fridge.  Add thyme, olive oil and pepper and toss gently to combine.  Serve immediately.

No comments: