Sunday, May 20, 2012

CLASSIC VICHYSSOISE -- NOT REALLY


The last time I made vichyssoise was about 14 years ago.  It was one of the (very) few dishes I made that was unacceptable to me at the time.  I haven't thought about it or revisited it since...until recently.  My local farmer's market had beautiful leeks available for $2.00 a bunch.  How could I pass them up? Although I didn't need any leeks since my freezer is full of vegetable broth and chicken stock, but I bought them anyway.  And one of my first thoughts was to make vichyssoise.  Uh oh.  Would this be another disaster like 14 years ago?  No. It wasn't.  I guess I'm older and wiser now.  Definitely older but don't know about wiser.

So, I adapted a recipe for a classic vichyssoise, and it was perfect.  This time, I used only the white bulb parts of the leeks.  Live and learn.  Also, I served it warm rather than chilled, as the traditional soup is typically served. And I did not add the "classic" heavy whipping cream to it.  Not necessary, in my opinion, since the potatoes give the soup a creamy consistency without the cream.  And, I used vegetable broth in lieu of the chicken stock.  So, it's not, technically speaking, a true vichyssoise.  However, it was a very healthy dish with a lot of flavor and no stringy texture (like the last time).  Again, live and learn or older and wiser or...just enjoy the dish, Cecelia.

2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
3 leeks, white part only, cleaned and sliced into rings
1 yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
5 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 fresh bay leaf
4 cups vegetable broth, preferably home made

In a large stock pot melt butter over low heat. Add leeks and onion, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.  Add potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Add thyme sprigs and bay leaf and stir well. Cover pot and continue to cook for about 15 minutes. 

Leeks and Potatoes
Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Puree soup in blender or food processor and serve.  Or, cool soup and serve chilled.  I like it warm.  Chilled is actually good, too.

No comments: